Hi! My name is Moose! I’m a 6 month old female holland lop bunny and I want to tell you some things about me because around Easter time, people like to buy bunnies without knowing what they’re really committing to and can make bunnies like me really sick or even put our lives in danger.
- I can live to be up to ten years old! That’s a whole decade of cleaning my cage, buying me food, and letting me get enough exercise.
- I need my cage to be cleaned at least once a week or more and I can be very smelly! If my cage isn’t cleaned regularly, I can get very sick
- I need plenty of room to run around and play. You have to watch me the whole time because I like to chew wires and I could get hurt. Sometimes I also like to chew carpet and even pee on the floor just like a puppy might.
- I am an exotic animal. If I get sick or need to be spayed, a regular vet isn’t going to know how to take care of me.
- I need to be trained just like any other pet because I can be a handful.
- I get scared very easily and loud noises can be dangerous because my heartbeat is very fast, and if I get scared, I could have a heart attack.
- If you don’t want me anymore, don’t set me free outside. I won’t know what to eat and other animals will attack me and try to eat me. I’m not like a wild bunny.
- I get to be pretty big! I won’t always be small and fit in a tiny cage. I come with an expense of food, hay, bedding, and a cage.
If you buy a bunny like me, please make sure you do your research and be sure you can love me and take care of me. Happy Easter!
- Moose, your friendly tumblr bunny
i need constant reassurance of everything
this gif keeps getting better
- willing to reenact the ‘where’s my supersuit’ scene from the incredibles with me at any point in time
My son’s George Sanderson Disneybound.
do ya ever bring your pet up to a mirror and ur like “that you”
i am so god damn possessive over people i need to not
How dog breeders have “improved” breeds over the past 100 years.
- The basset hound never used to sit so low. The dog has suffered changes to his rear leg structure, has excessive skin, vertebrae problems, droopy eyes that are prone to ectropion and entropion, and excessively large ears.
- The bull terrier used to be an athletic dog, but over the years his snout was mutated to be oversized and bending downwards, leading to respiratory issues. Many bull terriers have supernumerary teeth and are compulsive tail chasers and air biters owing to brain deformities.
- The boxer now has a much shorter face with an extremely short snout. The hindquarters are also lower. Like all brachycephalic dogs, the boxer has difficulty controlling his temperature in hot weather, meaning they are prone to overheating and collapsing in the summer. The boxer also has one of the highest cancer rates among dog breeds and many modern day boxers suffer from seizures.
- The english bulldog has evolved into a creature that suffers from almost every known disease. A kennel club survey conducted in 2004 found that they die on average at only 6 years and 4 months old. They cannot mate without human intervention, and cannot give birth naturally due to their giant heads. There is no such thing as a truly healthy bulldog.
- The dachshund, at one time, used to have functional legs and necks for their size. Their backs and legs have gotten longer, chest jutted forward, and legs have shrunk to such proportions that there is barely any clearance between their chest and the floor. Obese dachshunds usually have to actually drag their bellies across the ground. Their risk for intervertebral disc disease - which can result in paralysis - is extremely high. They are also prone to achrondoplastic related pathologies, progressive retinal apathy, and problems with their legs and joints.
- Pugs are the most inbred breed of dog in existence - an investigation carried out found that amongst the 10,000 pugs found in the UK are so inbred, the gene pool consists of the equivalent of only 50 individuals. They are extremely brachycephalic, and suffer severely from all the associated problems - the folds in their face frequently get infected, they struggle to breathe (making snoring/snorting/huffing noises even without moving), they have high blood pressure, low oxygenation, often collapse and die in the summer or if allowed to overheat, dentition problems due to their skulls being so curled in, and perhaps most shocking - their double curled tail is actually a genetic defect, and in its most serious forms leads to paralysis and many dogs needed a wheelchair or being euthanised if this progresses. These dogs are usually culled if they fail to produce this ‘attractive’ trait.
Healthy puppies that do not succumb to these ridiculous modern day breed standards are usually culled. One very heartbreaking example is the rhodesian ridgeback. The ridge is actually a genetic deformity - a mild form of spinal bifida - and puppies born without this ridge are healthy - but since the ridge is their namesake, healthy puppies are normally culled at birth and only those with noticeable ridges are bred from, thus passing the disability down to future dogs. Below is a ridgeback alongside a healthy, ridgeless dog.
3 to 4 million dogs and cats are killed every year because shelters are too full…. people are choosing to buy from breeders or shops instead of offering them a home.
Homeless animals outnumber homeless people by 5:1.
Only 1 in 10 dogs will ever find a permanent home.
25 PER CENT OF DOGS THAT ENTER SHELTERS ARE PUREBREEDS.
Please consider adopting a homeless dog. Please don’t encourage breeding these animals when there are so many being killed every year. Breeding is a profit, not “just” a hobby, and even if you think your breeder is reputable, they are still churning out puppies into a world where pets are seen as disposable.
This post is EXTREMELY important and I want all of you to read it.
NEVER buy a dog. Adoption should be your only option.
Meerkats make the best photographer’s assistants EVER.
Okay, this is very cute. :)
Isn’t his reaction beautiful!?!?!
She told him two weeks before he leaves on deployment.